“Baseball5 is a new five-on-five, five-inning street version of the game of Baseball/Softball that can be played anywhere. This faster urban discipline will help drive baseball and softball to new places not possible before.”
– WBSC President, Riccardo Fraccari
This “simple” version of baseball and softball will target mostly young people, especially in dense, highly populated areas were practice of the traditional game faces limitations. The potential to expand our sport is tremendous. With Baseball5™, WBSC intends to build a bridge that will spread and connect our sports around the world.
Baseball 5 Basics
- Utilises four vital athletic skills – Hitting, Throwing, Catching, Running
- No construction or dedicated venue needed – Baseball5™ can be played on any surface, indoors or outdoors.
- Adapts to any environment – It’s a true street discipline: the game can be self-regulated by teams who can agree on the basics upfront, based on the surroundings, as in any pickup game.
- All you need is a ball – A rubber ball is the only equipment needed to play the game.
- Skills transfer to traditional baseball/softball – Baseball5™ is a fast-paced team sport where individual skills and hand-eye coordination are highlighted.
- A game for all demographics – Baseball5™ promotes inclusion: men, women and youth can play, benefit and enjoy it at any level.
- Social contribution – Baseball5™ will help boost overall sports participation and physical activity among young people. It’s accessibility makes it invaluable particularly to the most underserved communities.