Baseball Australia will be showcasing Women’s Baseball around the country during March and April, with events planned for Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Perth in an exciting new approach to the Women’s game.
Recently reappointed for a second term, after winning Bronze at the 2014 World Cup in Miyazaki, Japan, Emeralds Manager, Simone Wearne, says this is the start of more pathway opportunities for female baseball players in Australia.
“We held a forum about the future of women’s baseball at Nationals, and one of the key outcomes was for more pathway opportunities to be available. This National Roadshow will provide that, by giving players access to elite training, testing and real game experience against some tough teams, which is exactly what our girls need”.
The National Roadshow, will be the opportunity for Wearne to scout the nation for players to compete at the upcoming 2016 VIII WBSC Women's Baseball World Cup, to be held in Gijang City, South Korea, September 3-11.
The Roadshow is open to all players aged 15+, who aspire to one day wear the green and gold and play for their country.
" I am hoping to see all of the players from our Bronze Medal Phoenix Cup team participate in the roadshows, and I would encourage all girls who played at Nationals to register too. I was able to see where many players were at in January, however I didn’t get to see every player, and those I did see, were not necessarily in the positions they would play on the national team, so I would incite anyone who is interested to register”, said Wearne.
And in a surprise move, Baseball Australia is also encouraging non-baseballers to register.
"We are keen to look outside the box, and will be encouraging all female athletes to attend the planned roadshows, whether they are baseball lifers, a seasoned softballer looking for a new opportunity or even a cricketer with a 'million dollar arm'." said Wearne
"Essentially we are looking for players who will display the attributes Australian's are known for, team players who play hard but fair. We want to instil a mental toughness in this team, and we want athletes that can put it all on the line. If we can do that we will be well on the road to success",
Australian Women's Baseball National Roadshow Details
· Attendance at one of the roadshow events is strongly encouraged for any player looking at selection for the 2016 Emeralds Squad for the 2016 Women’s Baseball World Cup
· Players that cannot attend for legitimate reasons and with prior notice to the coaching staff may still be considered, however attendance is strongly encouraged
· There is no charge for participating in the Roadshow
· Players should arrive early enough to ensure they are ready to go at 9am
· Previous national team representatives are requested not to wear representative apparel
· Players should bring their own lunch and snacks (some venues may have food available, this will be advised by email post registration)
· Pre-registration is essential and can be completed via the links below
· Spectators are welcomed and encouraged
· The day will run from 9am-4pm
· Morning session: training/testing
· Afternoon session: game play
· Players should wear baseball pants, shirt and hat
Sunday March 13
Saturday March 19
|NEW SOUTH WALES
Sunday March 20
Sunday April 10
|Springvale Baseball Club
KH Wearne Reserve
|Redlands Baseball Club